About SUVSWD

South Utah Valley Solid Waste District is a special service district, which functions under a environmentally-friendly and responsible handling of municipal solid waste. SUVSWD has also included recycling initiatives as an additional primary functions. SUVSWD has served South Utah valley since 1990.

SUVSWD 2018 Board of Directors:

Wayne Parker (Chairman), Provo Paul MacArthur, Woodland Hills
Craig Warren  (Vice Chairman), Salem Reid Carlson, Mapleton
Brandon Gordon (Secretary/Treasurer), Spanish Fork Brett Nelson, Springville
 Steven Staheli , Goshen

South Utah Valley Solid Waste Transfer Station

The Transfer Station opened it’s doors in February of 1990.  Designed by: HDR Engineering, this state of the art transfer station was the first of it’s kind built in the state of Utah.  Designed with growth in mind, the transfer station was originally designed to handle over 250 tons of waste per day. Today SUVSWD transfer station is handling over 600 tons per day. With the population growth over the last 10 years SUVSWD purchased a second compactor to stay ahead of the explosive growth in the valley. With the additional compactor the transfer station will now be able to handle over 900 tons a day.

Transfer Stations are most cost-effective when they are located in the right area. The use of a transfer station reduces labor cost, with crews spending less time driving and more time collecting waste. With this it also lowers cost on your city’s fleet management maintenance on their garbage trucks that pick up waste in your areas.

SUVSWD Bayview Landfill

The Bayview landfill began construction in 1989.  In 1993 the EPA established new standards requiring all landfills to have new liners installed before accepting MSW (municipal solid waste). Bayview was the first of it’s kind to use a synthetic liner, made of three layers consisting of textured geo-membrane, geo-synthetic clay liner, and needle punched geo-textile. The liner prevents harmful pollutants from seeping into the soil and ground water.  The liner was so successful in protecting the environment it received national attention from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

Bayview landfill is systematically divided into smaller units called cells.  These cells are further divided into working sections called faces. Only one cell face is used at a time and covered nightly thus  minimizing waste exposure to weather elements, also controlling odor and litter as well as vermin problems.

There are over sixteen ground water testing wells throughout our landfill. Water and soil are tested quarterly upstream and downstream to monitor signs of any leakage through the liner to ensure environmental quality.

With over 650 acres of landfill space, SUVWSD has only used 33.8 acres (cell #1) for disposal of waste.  Cell #1  was active form 1990 and it was fully capped in 2005.  Cell #2 Phase 1 was completed and began accepting waste in February 2005.  This cell differs from cell #1 in that it is 70 feet deeper and will have 4 phases.  This will give us approximately 35 years usage before cell #2 is full to capacity.  The original design for Bayview landfill includes 3 cells estimating a landfill life span of at least 100 more years.

The  wind fence surrounding the landfill is the tallest wind fence in the Western United States.  It stands over 45 feet tall with a 3 1/2 foot tilted arm at the top to prevent any up drafts of trash from leaving the cell.  Each pole is portable and can be moved to a new cell once the old cell is capped.  This saves money along with returning the land to it’s natural looking state.  From 1991 to 2004 the wind fence efficiency rate for litter control has been 94%.  The remaining 6% is manually picked up.

Bayview Landfill purchased a GPS System that will assist in more efficient compaction, giving more air space and prolonging the life of each cell as much as 5 years.

In 2016 Northern Utah Environmental Resource Agency (NUERA) purchased Bayview Landfill and now we share this resource with three other members. ( North Pointe Solid Waste Special Service District, Trans-Jordan  Cities, and Wasatch Integrated Waste Management District.) This relationship has helped reduce the cost of operations by increased tonnage, and brings many resources to help us use Bayview to it’s full potential.

For more information about the landfill please contact
Terry Ficklin at:
801-489-3027 ext. 14

tficklin@suvswd.org

 

Comments are closed.